Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My job hunt

So, I'm about to be a senior this fall. Oh my! I'm now getting nervous about being a senior. I'm excited that I will graduate, not excited about the college experience ending, but I am ready for a job at the same time.

I feel well prepared for a job. I've gotten a lot from my classes. But I honestly would like to know why our college education is not about practicial experience- and it's only on theory these days. Employers want students to have skills when they walk into the work field from practice not theory. So, why don't majors do a better job of giving students practicial real world experiences in the classroom? In some sense I believe vocational education is much better for students than theory based eduction.

These days, I have found if you want a career in journalism (esp in broadcast journalism), it no longer is about your course work you take anymore. It's about your internships and your experience you have done. Anderson Cooper from CNN never got a degree in journalism, and did a lot of internships to get to where he is at today. If you do those you will get far. I wish a college education was more on co-ops.

But anyways, I guess where I'm going with this, I may not be the best student in the classroom. I may have had a hard time getting the best grades. But in the end, I have a lot of journalism experience particulary in broadcast journalism. I did an internship at WCRS-FM, (a community/Paficica network station), WCMH-TV (NBC station), the Integrated Media Corps, and this summer at WSYX-TV/WTTE-TV (ABC/FOX stations). And, I feel like that is what is going to take me far in life are those experiences than the grades I got in the classroom. I'm not saying I don't care about my grades- because I do, and I wish I got  better grades, and I worked to get decent grades. I have taken a lot from my courses. But what I'm trying to say, is that, I've taken a lot more from broadcasting internships than anything. I have taken things from my courses, particularly news writing, where I learned how to write for newspapers, but I learn more from internships and practicial experience. 

I feel like I will be able to get a job in television after graduating with the amount of experience I have as a college student in television news.

No comments:

Post a Comment