Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Drinking in college

This last Friday, I was exhausted. I needed to relax, but I also wanted to go out with some of my friends to someone’s house to dance and have a good time for a few hours. However, I was on a mission. I was out to look at two different things. I wanted to know if people were drinking to black out, and if people were using illegal drug substances that are prohibited in the United States by law.

I was surprised by what I was seeing. Most people were taking shots, and by this point- you were wondering why exactly people are doing shots when they are completely intoxicated or at a stage they shouldn’t be drinking anymore. But on our college campus, alcohol is abused and used much more than you think. If you have no plans of going out anywhere, you can be rest assured that you are for the most part welcomed to any party, if you at least know of one person there. You’ll get free alcohol and you can let your worries go away- we’ll at least that’s why a lot of people do drink.

College campuses across the United States have began an effort to begin to ask the federal government to allow students to drink beginning at the age of eighteen. They want them to change the law. At The Ohio State University, you’ll be able to see the president of the university, Dr. Gorden Gee at parties on their campus which is surprising and interesting to ponder about.

But this weekend, I noticed people smoking outside one of the residence halls. I was curious at what they were smoking, but then I noticed it was a group of seven people sharing smoking marijuana. The occasional people were smoking cigarettes. My question is: If such an illegal substance of marijuana is being used by a lot of college students- why is this banned?

No comments:

Post a Comment