Sunday, February 6, 2011

Wittenberg's attendance policy

So, why do professors have an attendance policy? Why do they treat students like high school students? I think this is something I'd like to look further into. My parents are professors at The Ohio State University, and they never have such a policy. They tell me, it's up to the students to come to their classes to learn the material. They are adults- and need to learn how to be one. If you don't come to class, you will have trouble on the exams, and in class material. So the responsibility is put on the student and not the professor.

Why at Wittenberg do professors try to baby it's students. Let the students be adult and make their decision if they are going to class or not. You will still have enough students to run a class discussion.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. There is no reason that there should be an attendance policy. If I can get the grade I desire while missing X amount of classes a semester why should that matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldnt agree more. I think its ridiculous that Wittenberg has an attendance policy. I think if you want to miss class, and hurt your grade from missing the material, that should be on you, not your transcript. Some people are better at teaching themselves the material, and could do just as well on an exam that someone who attended every class could. I think this is just another reason that Wittenberg is just like a highschool....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand where you guys are coming from but at the same time I think that there is an attendance policy because many classes are so small that missing a few students really hurts the class discussion, especially if they are seminar-style. Personally, I've been in a handful of classes with 8-12 people in them and it is really disruptive when people are absent because they are relied upon to either teach the class about information or at least add their two cents into the discussion.

    ReplyDelete